Apple smartwatch is one of the premium smartwatch available today in the market. It comes with a lot of health, activity tracking and smart features. But the question is “Does Apple Watch work without an iPhone?
In this article, I will answer your question in detail; Can I use Apple Watch without iPhone??
Can I use Apple Watch without iPhone?
An Apple watch does not work with an android smartphone. You must have an iPhone to use an Apple Watch. Similarly, you can use any latest smartwatch with an Apple phone, but you won’t be able to use some features.
So make sure you buy only an Apple Watch only if you own an iPhone. After the initial setup, you stay away from your Apple Phone. But some features may be limited based on what model of Apple Watch you own.
If you are an iPhone user, then we recommend you to go for an Apple Watch only. We have already written an article on best smartwatch for Apple for users. You can check that list for more details there.
Now let us have a more in-depth look into the Apple Watch features that you can enjoy without a smartphone or WiFi network nearby.
Every Apple smartwatch series have two models; one is a smartwatch with LTE(Cellular connectivity), and another one is without an LTE. You can not use some features if you use your Apple watch without LTE away from your iPhone.
What is Apple Watch with an LTE or cellular connectivity?
Apple Watch LTE model has an eSIM that connects the watch directly to the cellular network. You should contact your smartphone cellular provider to activate these features. Once it is activated, it can directly be connected to the cellular network without iPhone nearby.
As a result, you can make phone calls, sent SMS, stream music, Siri, use apps that require an internet connection, etc., from your Apple Watch even when you are away from your smartphone.
Here are some of the pre-requirments for cellular connectivity on your Apple Watch.
- You must have an Apple Smartwatch with an LTE feature. Here is the list of Apple smartwatch models that support cellular connectivity.
- Apple Watch Series 6 with GPS + LTE
- Apple Watch SE(GPS+ LTE)
- Apple Watch Series 5 with GPS + LTE
- Apple Watch Series 4 with GPS+ LTE
- Apple Watch Series 3(GPS+LTE)
- You must have an iPhone 6 or higher.
- Must have the latest iOS on both your smartwatch and smartphone.
- Your smartphone cellular carrier must be offer cellular service for the smartwatch. You will be using the same cellular connectivity on your smartwatch and smartphone. Every cellular company does not support LTE connectivity for the smartwatch.
- To receive SMS, and other push notifications on your smartwatch, your iPhone also must be connected to a cellular network or WiFi, but it does not need to be nearby. (Means the smartwatch and iPhone can be far away, but the phone must be connected to a WiFi or Cellular network to receive SMS and other 3rd Party push notifications).
If you are from the USA, then the following companies support LTE connectivity for smartwatches.
- Appalachian3, AT&TBluegrass3
- C Spire3
- Sprint, now part of T-Mobile3
- T-Mobile USA
- US Cellular3
- Verizon Wireless3
- Xfinity Mobile3
However, once LTE activated, it will add a monthly fee of at least $10 every month on your telephone bill. You can check the updated list of countries and service providers who support cellular connectivity for smartwatch here.
Before you buy an Apple watch with GPS and LTE, make sure to check this list to ensure that your country supports LTE connectivity.
If all pre-requirments(as mentioned above)are met, you can integrate cellular connectivity on your smartwatch very easily. Once LTE is activated, you can see 4 green dots on the Apple watch screen’s top left corner.
Features of Apple Watch with LTE
- Make and receive phone calls right from your smartwatch without a smartphone nearby or switched off.
- Sent and receive SMS from your smartwatch. (iMessage)
- Stream music and listen to your favorite podcast right from your smartwatch.
- Use Apps that require an internet connection or WiFi Connection.
- Control your compatible home appliances through Apple Home App.
- Weather check.
Does Apple Watch work on WiFi without an iPhone?
Yes. Apple watch works on WiFi even if cellular connectivity or Apple phone not nearby. However, some features will be restricted in this case.
If your Apple Watch is running on WiFi, you will be restricted from SMS, Phone calls(if WiFi calls are not activated on your watch).
Apple Watch Features Available on WiFi without LTE or iPhone nearby.
- Stream Music.
- Listen to Podcasts.
- Phone calls(You will be able to receive phone calls only if WiFi calling is enabled on your smartwatch).
- Apps that require internet or a WiFi connection
- Walkie-Talkie Application.
- Usage of Home App to control your home equipment.
So the next question is; does Apple Watch work if there is no LTE, WiFi, or iPhone nearby?
Well, let us see what features are available on a smartwatch if you are away from your smartphone in a remote area where there is no connectivity.
Does Apple Watch Work without Phone nearby, WiFi or Cellular connectivity?
Even if your smartwatch is not connected to a cellular network, there are plenty of features that you can enjoy on your Apple watch.
When your smartwatch is not connected to a cellular network, you won’t be able to receive phone calls, SMS, or apps that require an internet connection.
Insted of streaming music, before you go for a hike or cycling in a remote area, you can download your favorite music and Podcasts into your Apple watch, so that you can listen to it when you are offline.
Health tracking features and activity tracking features will also work perfectly without any connectivity. It will store your health and activity data on the smartwatch, and later it syncs the data with Apple Health App once the connection is established.
Features that you can enjoy without Connectivity on Apple Watch
- Heart rate monitoring.
- ECG Monitoring.
- Workout tracking.
- Offline music.
- Apple Pay.
- Alarm Clock, Timer and Stop Clock.
- Sleep Tracking.
- Hearing protection.
- Blood Oxygen level monitoring(On Apple Watch Series 6).
- Female Health Tracking
- Do Apple Watch Work with Android Phone?
No. Apple Watch does not work with Android smartphone or devices.
- Does Apple Watch( GPS+LTE) need a SIM card?
Apple Watch with LTE comes with a virtual SIM card or eSIM, so you do not need to buy a physical SIM for Apple watch with cellular connectivity.
- Can I use the Same number on Apple Watch and iPhone?
Yes. You will be using the same number on your Apple watch and iPhone. Once LTE is activated, you can use the same number on both devices.
- Can I get notifications on both Apple Watch and iPhone?
If your Apple watch screen is unlocked, then you will get the notifications on the phone only. If it is not unlocked, then you will get notifications right on your smartwatch.
I hope that this article has answered your question on; Does Apple Watch work without an iPhone?’. I also hope that now you know how a smartwatch with LTE works and what it can do without an iPhone or cellular connectivity. If you have any further queries, please feel free to comment below.