Garmin is famous for its advanced sport tracking smartwatches. Because of this reason, sports personnel usually prefer Garmin Smartwatches over other luxury smartwatches like Apple.
Related Post: Garmin ECG: Do Garmin watches have ECG?
If you are in search of an answer to “Are Garmin watches waterproof? Then you are in the right place.
There are a few things that you should check out before buying a smartwatch, especially if you are interacting with water.
Many people are often confused between a waterproof smartwatch and a water-resistant smartwatch. So, it is essential to understand the difference between both devices.
What is the difference between a waterproof and Water-resistant Smartwatch?
Both these terms are used interchangeably, and both the words have different meanings. If some conditions are met, a waterproof smartwatch can stay undamaged in water for some time.
On the other hand, a water-resistant device means that it never breaks in water at any condition. Unfortunately, there are no such smartwatches available on the market today.
Are Garmin Smartwatches Waterproof?
As mentioned, Garmin does not have any water-resistant smartwatches. Most of the Garmin wearables are waterproof up to certain distances in water. If you cross that limit, the waterproof sealing of the watch may break down, and the watch gets damaged.
Because of this reason, smartwatch manufacturers have given a standard waterproof rating to their smartwatches, including Garmin. This rating helps consumers, like us, to choose the right smartwatch based on our activities.
For example, if you are a swimmer, then choose a smartwatch with 5 ATM waterproof ratings. This means that the smartwatch is safe to swim up to fifty meters underwater.
If you are looking for a swimming smartwatch, make sure you check our latest guide on the best smartwatches for swimming in 2021.
Garmin Waterproof Ratings Explained
Here are the standard waterproof ratings of Garmin devices. When you buy a Garmin Smartwatch, make sure you check the label for the waterproof ratings of that device.
|Ratings||What does it mean for us?|
|IPX7||It can withstand accidental exposure to water of up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes|
|IPX6||These devices are protected against powerful water jets|
|1 ATM||These devices can withstand pressures up to a depth of 10 meters. These devices can withstand splashes, rain, or snow, showering but are not suitable for swimming|
|3 ATM||These smartwatches are safe to use up to 30 meters underwater. It is safe with splashes, rain or snow, showering, jumping into water but cannot swim|
|5 ATM(Swim watches)||It can be used up to 50 meters in water and is suitable for diving into water and snorkeling|
|10 ATM||These devices can withstand pressures equivalent to a depth of 100 meters. You can use this smartwatch for swimming, including high-speed water sports.|
Most of the Garmin wearables come with a 5 ATM water resistance, which means that those devices are safe to swim up to 50 meters deep in water.
If you are looking for a more rugged smartwatch with more than 5 ATM water resistance, go for Garmin Enduro, Fenix 6 Series, Garmin Instinct, etc.
This is not the dead-end! The Garmin Descent Mk2 and Decent Mk1 are specifically designed for divers. These smartwatches are safe for diving and other water sports that involve forced water jets.
- Advanced, watch-style dive computer with 1.4” color sunlight-readable display...
- Six dive modes as well as multi-GNSS support and ABC sensors — including an...
- Features enhanced wrist-based heart rate estimates and Pulse Ox (this is not a...
- Includes built-in support for multiple sports apps, advanced training features,...
- Premium full-featured GPS dive computer in a sleek watch-style design; with...
- Built-in sensors include 3-axis compass, gyroscope and Barometric altimeter as...
- Supports single-gas, multi-gas, gauge and apnea diving, including nitrox and...
- Dive log lets you store and review data from up to 200 dives - and share online...
- Which Watch has higher waterproof ratings? The Oyster Perpetual Rolex Deepsea Challenge has a higher waterproof rating. It is proven to be waterproof up to 11,000 meters (about the cruising altitude of a commercial jet).
- How to Choose a smartwatch for swimming?You can swim with a waterproof smartwatch with a waterproof rating of 5 ATM. However, if you want to track your swimming metrics, you should go for a swimming smartwatch that tracks important swimming metrics such as pace, distance, SWOLF, stroke style etc.
- Which Garmin watches can be used for swimming?Garmin Swim 2 is a smartwatch designed explicitly for swimming enthusiasts. It tracks all your swimming metrics along with your heart rate.
- Are there any smartwatches for diving? Garmin Descent Mk2 and Decent Mk1 are designed for diving. You can use this smartwatch for diving up to 10 ATM (100 meters)
I hope this article has answered your question, “Are Garmin watches waterproof? If you have any further questions, please feel free to comment below.
Saneesh VS is a Registered Nurse by Profession and Wearable Tech Enthusiast by Passion. He loves to write about fitness, smartwatches, and fitness trackers. He also loves reading books on wearable tech, technology in healthcare, artificial intelligence, etc., which he has been writing for the past 5 years.